building bricks

Hi Everyone. I'm a architecture student from the UK. I set up this blog to air my views on Architecture, life and everything. I hope you enjoy reading it.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Tudor House



In my weeks holiday I had a bit of free time to finally go and visit some of my friends at other universities. I took a visit to Southampton, which is the first time I've ever been there. I persuaded my friend to take me to see some Southampton Architecture, which he claimed there was very little. However I saw lots of really cool buildings but my favorite had to be the Tutor House Museum (see top picture) just because of the wall detail. It is a Timber framed house with large, exposed timber stud (architectural term for the vertical bits of timber) and a brick infill (see the bottom hand sketch I did). The infill however has a Chevron pattern which is just beautiful especially as the bricks are different shades of reds and browns. I love details in building, something special in a building which makes it stand out. I think quite a lot of modern buildings forget these small details because of cost. This has made many modern buildings similar and dull.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home